Saturday, December 24, 2016

For the last 20 years my family has completely replaced baking sheets with pizza stones. Today, I just found out that may be weird.

I was browsing /r/mildlyinteresting and saw this thread. In the comments, people seemed shocked that a pizza stone was used to bake cookies, or anything other than pizza.

This caught me off guard, since it's all my family has used for at least 2 decades. To add, my family just calls them baking stones and we've probably only made pizza on them less than 20 times in the last 20 years.

My mom has a background in food science and taught Family and Consumer Science her entire adult life. Her favorite form of cooking is cast iron Dutch oven. In Dutch oven cooking, the idea of building up a flavor in the vessel is key to good cooking. My mom applied the same principles with the stones. If there is any washing involved, it's running hot water over the stones and very light scrubbing.

Over the years, the stones have gone from a light tan to a dark reddish-brown. Literally nothing sticks to the stones. They're very well cured.

We don't always preheat them, but we store them in the oven so preheating is as easy as turning on the oven. I'll be honest, if there is a difference between preheating the stones and not, then it is very slight.

There's only a few times where a baking sheet and parchment paper are more appropriate and I don't use the stones. But they're few and far between.

I'm a big fan of solely using stones and highly recommend it to any cook.



Submitted December 24, 2016 at 09:13AM by Jimothy_Riggins http://ift.tt/2i2RBKL

No comments:

Post a Comment