Saturday, December 24, 2016

Oven calibration: Best method?

I'm cooking a prime rib for the family tonight and realized I'd never checked my oven's accuracy. So I put a small glass bowl full of water into the oven and checked the temperature after an hour-ish. Using this method, my oven is high by nearly 30 degrees.

I couldn't figure out a way to hang my oven thermometer so I balled up some aluminum foil so that it supports the base of the thermometer. Using this method and leaving it in the oven has resulted in my oven being low 30 degrees.

Which is a better method and which result should I believe?

Is there another method I should try? I have an instant read thermometer as well as one that's meant to be left in the meat while it's in the oven.



Submitted December 24, 2016 at 10:26AM by magpie11 http://ift.tt/2ioMKGQ

No comments:

Post a Comment