Monday, January 23, 2017

The Butterfly Effect of positive life changes.

This Thanksgiving, I decided that my desire to get to a healthy weight finally outweighed my excuses to do otherwise. I had lost weight previously, but mental health issues had been a bigger priority for a long time. I finally put my foot down, and I've stuck to it ever since.

I didn't make a deal of it, but the changes were obvious. I stared to weigh all of my food. I said no to more snack foods offered to me by my roommates. I didn't try to encourage anyone to join me, and I haven't talked about how much I've lost.

My partner started copying my habits first. He noticed how I was eating well, and had always wanted to have a better diet, but he had never had a good support network to start out. Eating healthy is easy when someone else is cooking, after all. He lost 10lbs quickly, which has only spurred his desire to keep it up. He even started to cook more, and pack his own lunches for work.

Our housemate noticed us weighing and measuring everything and offered to give us a full ingredient breakdown of every meal, including oils and butters that I might have missed. She started making things that were a bit healthier, so my partner and I could eat more, even having a califlower pizza night planned we could all enjoy guilt-free. She mentioned offhand that she has lost some weight recently as well, which she seemed happy about.

My partner's mom came to visit, and inquired about our insistence on healthier food options for dinner. He gave her the long-form rundown on all of the nutrition informatiin he had researched since starting, and implored her as her son that he'd love to help her eat better for her own well being. She agreed to start tracking, and has significantly improved her diet knowing we can see her MFP diary. She's even got her students helping her be accountable, and they have been checking up on her every class.

My step mother visited recently, and my partner gushingly mentioned that he and I had lost some weight. We showed her MFP when she asked further. She seems interested in eating better food, even if she she wasn't interested in watching her weight at the moment.

It's only been two months, and while I am psyched for the 15 lbs loss, I'm more excited how my little change has influenced so many people I care about. Talk about a Motivation Monday, eh?



Submitted January 24, 2017 at 12:04AM by bplurker http://ift.tt/2jTbjeT

No comments:

Post a Comment