Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Best Way to De-fat Pork Shoulder?

So, I've got a new favorite cut of pork. I've made most of my meals for the past two weeks with pork shoulder. It's delicious, easy to work with, and melts in your mouth when cooked right. Also, it's CHEEEAP. Yeah, it's basically perfect...except for some excess fat.

I try to trim any big chunks of fat off the shoulder before I cook, though I won't mangle the meat trying to get at the veins of intermuscular lard. However, this inevitably leaves me with a thick oil slick on whatever dish I'm making toward the end of cooking. I skim off what I can, but a spoon can only go so far, and my finished meals are always just a teensy bit too oily for my taste.

Is there a way around this fattiness? Are there slightly leaner cuts of pork shoulder I should look out for at the store, or is there a more effective method of de-fatification once the meat is cooked? This is the one thing keeping me from enjoying pork any more. Well, at least until I try making pork belly...



Submitted February 28, 2017 at 10:46PM by thyman3 http://ift.tt/2lRvCtT

No comments:

Post a Comment