Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Need more slots - couple questions about making a DYI upgrade

Hi all! I am planning to replace my main breaker box for more breaker slots. I am a big DIYer and have done a few sub panels in the past, replacing this will be pretty straight forward for me (I know you guys are pretty awesome at what you do and won't like this).

US, California home built in 1950. Photo album here; http://ift.tt/2lo7QC7

I have 100 amp service right now that was upgraded in the 80s when the previous owner added a detached garage and swimming pool. I may upgrade in the future to 200 amps but I don't need the service now like I do the slots. Planning a kitchen remodel in the next year or so, likely going with electric range and stove top from gas for induction cooking will be the biggest addition to the system in addition to adding the correct breakers for the outlets and appliances. Right now I need room to add a whole house surge protector, dedicated circuit for gas fireplace insert, circuit of canned lights, couple more to clean up some other messy stuff - but nothing to heavy right now.

Thinking of getting a 30 position 60 circuit panel.

I see two options:

1a) Install a 200 amp panel now but upgrade service from 100 amp to 200 amp at a later date (http://ift.tt/1xbQxsK). I don't want to deal with permits right now or paying to upgrade the service. I have a 100 amp main breaker outside by the meter, so in the future event that I don't upgrade or don't need to - what problems would having a 200 amp breaker here cause if I later sell the house? Technically this is a disconnect since there is a 100 amp main before this breaker. Buying a 100amp main breaker for the 200amp box will cost as much as the whole box - so what other options to make this future proof?

1b) If I do the 200 amp panel, what would it cost me to replace the #2 alu wire from the outside main breaker to the panel inside to support 200amps (see pics)? It is about 4 feet distance, and I suppose this depends on what the meter box is rated for. Risks high for inspection and permits if the panel was done before paying someone for this "hard part"?

2) Upgrade to a 100 amp panel and forget about it, "you probably don't need 200 amp service" and I avoid staying up at night knowing something is hokey. (http://ift.tt/2lnUF4e) I could always upgrade the whole thing later when the time comes.

Aside from, "this is not a DIY job - stop" what do you recommend? Missing anything? Thanks!



Submitted March 01, 2017 at 01:14AM by iwantyourmom269 http://ift.tt/2mrKz7F

No comments:

Post a Comment