Tuesday, February 28, 2017

So many said I couldn't, I'm proving that I can

Hey all!

So let's get to the point. I am a mother of 2 and married to a wonderful man. A man who is better at cooking and cleaning than I am. I myself am better at being early and routine. See where I'm going with this?

We had always stuck to our gender roles, in the beginning. Until I started to feel trapped. And realized I was coveting what my husband had. He, on the other hand, was so upset about having to leave our kid(s) that he would cry every day on the way to work.

So I decided to get a small housekeeping job. I hated the actual work, I immediately loved being back to work. Eventually, my husband and I decided to discuss me taking on a full time position and him staying with our then one baby. I was ecstatic. And then his mother stepped in, which is never good. "BABIES NEED THEIR MOTHERS. YOU'RE ABANDONING THEM. YOU NEED TO DO YOUR DUTY." Here's the thing, this kind of thinking was ingrained into my head. This, coupled with my sleep deprivation and (unknowing at the time) ppd, was enough to put me back into my shell.

And so, days passed. Eventually, I became pregnant with our second daughter. It was after she was about 6 months old that I decided to apply for a full time housekeeping position, as that was what I had done most recently.

I got it! My husband was upset at first but very supportive. It wasn't until I had accepted the job and worked a while that my mother in law found out. Again, she preached. It hurt, but not as badly this time.

Then I realized I wasn't happy in housekeeping. I was worried that I would never get another job, one where I was happy, being that I love computers and working with phones and customers.

A few months passed, a few job postings passed by that I had interest in but just didn't have to guts to fail. And then one day, a very prestigious golf course in my area was hiring for opening a new hotel. I dunno why, but I applied for a reservation agent position.

I knew I wouldn't get it.

Until I got that call!!! I got the job!!!!

I was still scared, and still getting shit from my MIL.

Slowly, I've been learning the ins and outs of this job. I've been here six months, gotten a $3 an hour raise, and have even had a few customers write me e-mails praising me on my customer service (which my boss put into a file!).

Today, they told me I'm in the running for the reservation's manager position. A huge raise.

I cannot wait. I am so happy I believed in myself. My husband loves being at home and keeps the house cleaner than I ever did. My mother in law even congratulated me today on the phone.

Today, I feel like a warrior.



Submitted February 28, 2017 at 11:01PM by MizDizocta http://ift.tt/2mbBU8H

No comments:

Post a Comment