Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Drowning in Information

I'm dying over here.

Ground raw patties? Whole chunks of animal? Little of each? Bones? No bones? Bones ground into the patties? DIY raw patties? Veggies? No veggies? Rice? White rice? Brown rice?

I am finding both "yes always" and "no never" as answers to both of these questions.

I want to feed raw, and assuming I can source my proteins with some savvy, I can do it for about $500 per year. Even $1000/year seems perfectly reasonable to me. Am i out to lunch with regards to cost?

I'd rather make my own than buy premade patties. I have the space and I'm not squicky about handling guts.

From what I can gather, there is a shitload of misinformation out there, so I'm stalled.

My ideal would be an appropriate portion of ground up puck meal with all the good stuff a dog needs using a large variety of proteins and organs in appropriate ratios as the staple in my dog's diet. I would also add the veggie bits I might normally throw away like celery tops and old carrots and a small portion of leftover starches from cooking for my family like rice, potato, yam. In addition to that, I would include meaty bones like chicken wings and snipped apart chicken backs a couple of times a week. I often purchase whole chickens and cut off the backs before portioning for my family. I normally save them for soup, but I guess the dog can have them.

Assuming a medium sized dog, do I need to add more bone? As in grind up whole chickens bones and all and add that to the puck mix? Or are wings and backs a couple of times a week ok?

For those of you that DIY, do you make frozen pucks, or do you portion out and freeze your meat and organs as you get them at a bargain? Do I need a grinder? Can a KitchenAid grinder handle a bone in chicken?

Holy, wall of text, right??

Thanks in advance



Submitted February 28, 2017 at 09:43PM by Johnsonsi http://ift.tt/2m5Tri5

No comments:

Post a Comment