Tuesday, February 28, 2017

How to get started with food curing?

In the egg yolk thread I saw someone post about curing egg yolks and that got me thinking about other curing possibilities. Unfortunately, "food curing" and various other search engine friendly terms bring up more home remedies for illnesses than ways to add salt to stuff to make it taste different and last longer.

What are some good food curing resources? Some stuff I am particularly looking for:

  • Concept, theory, guidelines etc rather than explicit recipes
  • But also, totally recipes
  • How to not get food poisoning
  • Curing stuff that is not meat
  • But also, fish is great
  • But also, other kinds of meat are great, I just live in an area where produce is super cheap and I mostly eat vegetables already, oh dear god carrots will be the delicious death of me
  • Stuff that considers space and equipment needs is great
  • Also, apparently curing is a term that technically includes wet curing aka pickling, which isn't what I am thinking of, I mean the thing where you pack stuff in salt. But also I love pickles and if you happen to include pickling info with non-wet curing info I will not be sad or angry


Submitted March 01, 2017 at 01:08AM by throughdoors http://ift.tt/2lRWMkw

No comments:

Post a Comment