Saturday, December 31, 2016

Toileting babies in hunter-gatherer societies

I was wondering what hunter-gatherer societies use when nappies are not typically available. I'm thinking specifically about San people since I'm more familiar with them, but other examples would be welcome also.

I've recently been made aware of elimination communication, which is a parenting choice to abstain from using nappies and become instinctively attuned (apparently) to when a baby needs to 'go' and then hover the baby over a potty/toilet. Proponents often describe it as "used by African tribes" but I've never seen a specific group mentioned. I'd be interested to know which "African tribe" uses this method, if any. I imagine it would be incredibly time consuming for a woman who'd need to spend her time gathering or cooking food etc

(I'm brand new to Reddit so please forgive any inadvertent faux pas)



Submitted December 31, 2016 at 07:08PM by shitloadsofsubutex http://ift.tt/2hASics

No comments:

Post a Comment