Tuesday, January 31, 2017

6 years in marketing/business, and it's not for me...what next?

As usual, I'll try to keep this short. I've worked at a couple of marketing agencies in branding/digital marketing/social media since college. I feel like I've always struggled, I sometimes have a hard time focusing/getting work done on time, and my boss recently told me that he didn't see in me the "passion for project management" that he hoped for. I'm struggling to keep up with the work load while my colleagues around me make it look like a breeze. I also struggle with anxiety, and this work situation where I feel like I'm failing instead of succeeding is not helping.

I finally went to a doctor to test and see if I had ADHD or something that's impeding my ability to work quickly and accurately. Results came back saying I'm very bright, I do seem to have a little trouble focusing for long periods of time, but nothing so severe as ADHD. Doctor says "it's possible you're just not in the right work environment for you to succeed."

So...now what? I'm clearly super unhappy (and have been for a while) at work, and I'm considering a career change. But to what? I'm creative, love food and cooking, photography, writing...but I struggle with quick turnaround times, I'm not very detail oriented, and have a hard time multitasking. I know I'm smart and capable, but the fast-paced, numbers-first, project managing, not-as-creative-as-I'd-hoped-for position in digital marketing is making me feel stressed and burnt out.

Anyone with a similar experiences? Or advice? How to start from scratch to figure out what, exactly, I would enjoy doing as a career, and could actually succeed at?



Submitted February 01, 2017 at 12:03AM by klar971 http://ift.tt/2kpbOOJ

No comments:

Post a Comment